Monday, June 28, 2010

God's Country

This past weekend we had a family reunion with Dennis' family. It was a blast. We had a great time 4-wheeling, bow shooting, swimming and kayaking, and just spending time together. One morning I went for a jog. The air felt so cool and clean and I was just soaking up the smell of the freshly cut hay. I was climbing a hill near my in-laws house and I caught a breath-taking view of the valley that they live in. The sun was peaking over the plateaus and the sleepy, tiny farmtown was waking up from it's nightly slumber. I could see some men watering their fields and some of the towns people beginning to set up for their annual town festival. The people of this small town of less than 1,000 people are some of the friendliest you'll ever meet, yet many people that live just an hour away don't even know that this town exists.

The phrase "God's country" came suddenly and clearly into my head. I thought this was odd and as I kept jogging I kept thinking about my sudden thought. I thought that if Christ were to come to earth today and choose a town to live in, it probably wouldn't be much different than this one. One that to some people may seem of little consequence- but for those that call this place home, holds a deep-rooted place in their heart. One where sports cars and luxury SUV's are replaced by tractors and where high-heels are replaced by irrigating boots. One where everyone waves as they drive past you, regardless of whether or not they know you. Over the years the weak have been sifted and left, and only the most resiliant seem to have remained in this small desert town. It's a hard-knock life to say the least.

Having lived mostly in fast-paced cities with millions of people, I've had a hard time adjusting to this way of life, but I've started seeing it's charm, mainly as it shines through it's residents. My children are blessed to claim this "God's Country" as part of their heritage.

2 comments:

Trent and Julie said...

I'm so glad you had a great time!

Cristina said...

Idaho does have a unique beauty to it, doesn't it. I feel the same when I go to Rupert to see Stanton's family. I'm so glad that you had a good time. Love ya Rita!