Monday, August 16, 2010

End of Summer Fling

We just spent the past 9 days in Utah having our last summer fling. My parents are home for two months in between in assignments. Back from Indonesia and on their way to Peru. I love how adventuresome they are and hope to be that way at their age. Just before leaving Indonesia, my mom spent a month aboard a U.S. Navy ship called the "Mercy Ship" doing humanitarian work in the form of free medical procedures for the people of southeast Asia. I'm so proud of her. She is always trying to do things for others, both on large and small scales.





I headed down with just the kids while Dennis stayed behind to work. It was a little more stressful than I had planned being with my crazy kids in my little sister's immaculate and quiet home. Cristina, sorry for the stress! I was glad though, to be able to see my parents see some cousins I hadn't seen in a long time. I love reconnecting with family, both immediate and extended. As a kid, travelling to Idaho and Utah to visit my cousins was always the highlight of my year.

Here's a picture of a hair bow making day we had with my mom, sisters, and sister-in-laws. It was a lot of fun. We put every bow and hair clip we had made in our hair for the picture.


Afterwards we headed to Salt Lake to meet up with Dennis for a Utah vacation we had been planning for quite a few months. Our good friends, the Landon's joined us. Julie is one of my dearest friends. We went to nursing school together, worked together at the nursing home and on the postpartum unit in Logan, and each have 3 kids close together in age.

We were all completely exhausted and slightly delirious by the end of our vacation on Sunday. We had visited the Gateway Discovery Center, the Lion House, the Clark Planetarium, the Hogle Zoo, This is The Place Heritage Park, Sunbird, the Living Planet Aquarium, the Mayan restaurant, Thanksgiving Pointe, Temple Square, and watched a 3-D movie. Now imagine hauling 6 kids, all under the age of 6, to do all of it over 3 days. Yes...chaos. But lots of fun. We're going to need a few days to recover from this one.


Luke and Rees on Mars at the planetarium.

Trent with 4 of the 6 kids. We pretty much looked like a travelling zoo.



On top of Snowbird after taking the tram. I had the willies the whole time. Holy moly.


Julie and me



Dinosaur Museum at Thanksgiving Point



The Mayan



Petting the stingray at the aquarium


"Under the Sea" in 3-D



Temple Square

4 comments:

Cher said...

4 things
1. your parents ARE awesome. love them.
2. so fun to reconnect with family and friends
3. i hate sting rays
4. wow, you really DO need a vacation after that!

Leslie said...

It was great to see you and your cute kids! Take care!

Percy said...

Awesome to see you Rita. Want to do a nature run with you next time.

Trent and Julie said...

You are much better at this blog thing!!! cute pictures and thanks for the cd---i have decided to make a photo book of this summer!!!