Thursday, October 21, 2010

Layton Marathon


The pictures come from the race photographer's website. They're pretty small but you get the idea.



Luke ran beside me the last quarter of a mile. Please excuse my poor knock-kneed, pigeon-toed gait. I was tired.


My cute little Camden holding up the sign for us as we approached the finish line.

Percy also came to cheer us on at the finish line.



A couple of weeks ago, Julie and I completed the Layton marathon. We had ran the Mesa Falls half marathon together about a month prior. After finishing the half marathon, I pointed out that the training required to complete a full marathon was only about 4 weeks beyond the training needed to complete a half. The training it takes to get to 13 miles is much harder and longer than the training required to double the mileage. I know...it sounds crazy but it's true. We both figured, "What the heck? Why not? We're not getting any younger." So we signed up for the Layton marathon.

I travelled to Utah the night before with the kids and we stayed at Julie's parents house in Morgan. Julie's mom graciously watched the kids for me while we ran and even brought them to the finish line with posters to cheer us on. Dennis wasn't able to come because he had a wood-cutting campout he had been committed to for almost a year and he didn't feel it would be right to back out of it.

The run was fun and beautiful. We talked most of the way except for the last few miles. By then, I don't think either of us felt like we could do anything other than put one foot in front of the other. We both agreed that the last 3 miles of the race seemed longer than the first 13. They were never-ending and excruciating, to say the least.

It was nice to have someone else to run with and to take it easy for a change. Usually when I run races, I compete against myself and just about kill myself trying to beat my past times. We definitely didn't beat any personal bests, but the upside was that the recovery was much, much easier and the race itself was much more enjoyable.

2 comments:

The "J" Team said...

Wow! You guys are awesome! Next time you are in Utah, you'll have to give me a buzz.

gilvearbebes said...

You are awesome to run in those! Way to go! Can I just say how cute your new family picture on your blog is!? I love it!