Friday, December 24, 2010

One of the many perks of Christmas

(Luke reporting to Santa on his good behavior that day at school)

I'm a little worried about what I'm going to do after Christmas is over to blackmail my kids to behave and do their chores every day. Santa's upcoming arrival with gifts for all of the nice little boys and girls is such a handy little weapon for a mom to have in her back pocket. When the kids are acting up, I tell them sadly, "Well, Santa's going to be sad to hear that he's going not going to be able to bring you one of your toys away this year." Then I pick up the phone, dial Dennis' cell phone number. When he answers, I say, "Hi Santa, this is Camden and Luke's mom. They are having a hard time getting along today and I've had to remind them all day to pick up after themselves. I know you like to keep track of who's naughty and who's nice. I just thought you'd like to know." The boys start hollering in the background and try to grab the phone away to tell Santa that their mom is making things up. That shapes things up real quick. I highly recommend it.

On the days they've done particularly well, or like on the day Luke's teacher called me to tell me how great he had been doing, I call Mr. Claus again and inform him that he can go ahead and put their presents back in his sleigh because they've been doing so well that day. I'm impressed with how well Dennis can disguise his own voice with a deep, booming Santa voice.

Easter is till a little too far away and Cupid and leprechauns aren't known to be as abundant of gift givers and seem to be more partial to the naughty than the nice, so I'll need to get creative.

1 comment:

Cher said...

ha ha. clever