Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Things I Wish I Would Have Known

I know I've said this many times, but I'm always amazed at how much motherhood teaches you on a daily basis. There are so many things I wish people would have told me before I had kids. Who knows though, maybe they did but I just wasn't listening or I thought I knew better than they did. I was thinking the other day of all the things I wish I would have known, even if just a few months ago. If I could give some advice to new moms or moms-to-be, here's what I would tell them.

-Even if other kids seem so bratty and out of control, just you wait. You'll be right in their parent's shoes some day- wrestling a screaming, thrashing child- no matter how good of a parent you swear you're going to be. You may look at others kids and think only morons could produce kids that wild, but sooner than you think, you're in the moron club right along with them.

-Don't ever introduce "The Wiggles" to your kids...ever. You'll never hear the end of them and you'll fall asleep at night to songs stuck in your head about chewing your food and fruit salad. (This one is actually what triggered the whole thought process)

-No matter how piping mad you are, don't ever tell your husband his head is up his butt while the kids are in ear-shot because later on your son, in pure innocence (and probably a little disgusted), will ask him what his head was doing up there in the first place and then your husband will have some explaining to do about his mother's temper.

-Even though you swore up and down you'd never "sound like your mother," I guarantee you will someday. Kids will do that to you.

-Avoid giving your children sugary cold cereals like the plague. Once you go down that road, there's no turning back.

-If you have more than one child, it's nearly impossible to do all the things consistently that the experts claim are essential to a healthy child's brain development like reading one-on-one for 20 minutes every day; giving them the proper amounts of vitamins, fiber, dairy, etc that they need; 1 hour of exercise per day; avoiding excessive television; and the list goes on and on. Don't beat yourself up about it.

-Not all children who are picky eaters are products of parental negligence. Anyone who knows my kids knows why I'm writing this. I never in a million years thought I'd have picky eaters because Dennis and I are human vacuums.

So there you have it. If you have any others to add to the list, I'd love to hear them.

6 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I would add not introducing them to Thomas the Train. It's like meth for kids... I swear my children would knock off a bank just to watch one more Thomas show or get one more toy train.

Anything you say you will "NEVER EVER" do, you will. I'm convinced that God thinks it's funny to watch you eat your words like that... something about becoming humble. :)

Cynthia said...

I have been giggling because all of this is so true! My sister watches me and tells me all the things she will never do with her kids (the ones she doesn't have) and I laugh because I know that at some point you just give up and face reality.

The "J" Team said...

I have to agree. My friend told me that there was no need to baby proof my house...I just needed to teach my kids not to touch stuff...yeah right...she also has no kids. Sometimes I think my children teach me more than I teach them.

Cher said...

i can't think of any more to add, you have some great ones there.
but, i can think of two good ones that someone told me when i was first pregnant that actually did help. (cuz you know you got advice that didn't help too). 1. expect the baby blues, it's normal. but at about 6 weeks you feel magically better. and 2. go outside every day, even if it's just to check the mail.

patty said...

Funny post! I am totally the moron parent with out of control children! Jesse also mentioned before we had kids that we would not have whiney children...and look where that got us!

Cody & Brittany Hawkes said...

haha! I absolutely LOVE this Rita!! thanks so much...you know cody and I will need it in the near future and I love all the advice I can get. I am also guilty of staying I will never use a pacifier with my kids (cuz they're so hard to stop once you give it to a child) but I know my patience isn't that strong and I'll give in...I think children definitely make you humble and what I've seen from family they are great at making you embarrassed during the worst of times, but you gotta love them :) I can't wait to learn all that you great mothers have learned and I know I'll appreciate this advice and hopefully have more to pass along later...hope your christmas was great and santa brought you everything you wanted :) take care!!