Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Kid Compliments

One of the things that cracks me up the most about kids are their ideas of compliments. A few days ago Camden told me in amazement that after eating the cafeteria food at school, my food actually tastes good. Wow, thanks. If it makes my food seem good, then that's the best $1.75 I spend each day.

We've come a long way with Camden and his eating. When he was about 2 years old, he was easily the pickiest eater I had ever heard of or come across. In 2006, my friend took this picture of Camden at her house as he was eating yogurt- that fruity kid yogurt that tastes like candy, nonetheless. Getting him to eat anything other than pretzels, fruit snacks, or warm milk from a bottle was nearly impossible and involved tears (both mine and his), threats, and extreme frustration. Even though this picture was taken 5 years ago, he still often makes this face when he's eating my food.
Then the other day, Luke affectionately rubbed my belly and seeming genuinely impressed said (actually it was more like singing), "Wow mom, you're suuuuuuuure getting fat!"

I told him that sometimes it makes people feel bad when you point out things like that to them. He looked thoughtful and I was hopeful that he had internalized what I had told him when he said, "But your belly looks fat- kinda like Aunt Cristina's and that guy at church!" (Cristina is just about ready to have a baby too). The story about the "guy at church" is one where I wanted to curl up in a ball under the water fountain we were standing next to when he so subtly pointed and yelled out his observation to everyone around him, including the poor guy.

I guess I'll take what I can get, right?

2 comments:

Cher said...

oh no, i'm totally waiting for that time to come, when my kids point out embarrassing things about strangers to them.

Cristina said...

so...little luke thinks I'm fat! :( Sad. But I bet he'll sure be impressed with how much I've lost the next time he see's me :) You're kids are so cute, I love reading about your days with them!