Thursday, May 26, 2011

10 Years


This picture was taken the morning we got married before heading to the temple.

It's surreal to think that 10 years ago today I married Dennis. I was so naive and clueless about what I was about to do. I had no concept of the permanence of what I was getting myself into. I had no idea how much I would grow to depend on him and how the way I felt about him that morning was just a drop in a bucket of the love that would develop over the years with each child, hardship, success, and argument overcome.

He is the kind of man that I pray my boys will grow up to emmulate and that my girls will use as a model for their future husbands. I hope they never settle for anything less. I am told constantly by other people how lucky I am to have the husband that I have. I joke (sometimes I'm halfway serious) that I'm getting tired of the swooning over my husband and that dang it, he got himself a good woman too for crying outloud!

Yes, at times I do feel overshadowed by him, but I love the fact that at least he's one that casts such a tall shadow. I like who I am better now than before I married him. He has helped me develop a higher sense of confidence in myself and a sense of really having a place in this world.

I knew just after I met him 12 years ago that the chubby-cheeked, Wrangler wearing, rusty pick-up driving, farmboy who was so quick with a smile and a friendly conversation, would make some lucky woman a very happy wife. And who knew that it would be me?

Marrying Dennis was the best naive decision I ever made.

3 comments:

highheels2flipflops said...

Congrats! That is such a milestone! I completely agree with how you feel. I had NO idea what a marriage was or what I was getting into! Luckily I have a great guy as well.

Cher said...

awww, cute! 10 years, wow. happy anniversary!

Percy said...

I love reading this post. There are a few things that really bring down the spirit of God, as some might say, or that special surreal timeless magic, and that is the sincere expression of love. I feel it here and often with you two.