Wednesday, May 11, 2011

More Lukeisms


Luke loves this Ronaldinho shirt that we bought him in Indonesia, of all places, and insists that it needs to be worn backwards so that everyone can see it. This is one Luke's best friends. Her shirt says, "Sorry, but I only play with boys that sparkle," and insists that Luke sparkles.


The kids making me chocolate chip cookies as part of my Mother's Day gift.


Wow, four posts in the past week. I think that's a record for me. I don't know what things will be like after the baby comes so I'm trying to blog whenever I think of something I want to journal about.

My little Luke has me wrapped around his finger for so many reasons. When I look at him, I see myself as a child with so many of my quirks and almost identical phsyical characteristics, but then mixed in is my brother Jesse. Although my brother terrorized me beyond belief, he also somehow managed to keep my mom wrapped around his mischevious little finger.

Last night as we were going to bed, Camden looked at my belly and then asked me how the baby was going to be coming out. Oh boy... This was the first time I had to go anywhere near that subject. I took out a children's book about the human body that I had bought at Costco and showed him pictures of the baby's development and tried to give him as untraumatic of an explanation as possible about what was going to be happening. I told him that in rare cases, the baby may have to be taken out through the mom's tummy. The doctor would give the mom some medication so it doesn't hurt and take the baby out that way. He asked what kind of situations would require the doctor cutting into someone's tummy and I told him that one of the reasons could be if the baby got stuck coming out of the mom's hips. Camden looked down at my hips and with a relieved look said, "Wow...well there's no way a baby could get stuck in you. You have huge hips!" After we talked some more, he seemed satisfied with my explanation but Luke seemed quite disgusted by it all. This morning he kept shaking his head and saying how "cweepy" (creepy) it was that a baby would be coming out of his mom's body and that he didn't want to see a naked baby.

When I ask him what he wants to name the baby, he keeps saying that Lauren seems like a perfectly good name. I point out that we already have a baby named Lauren and that we can't have two babies named Lauren or it would be too confusing. Then he matter-of-factly points out that Mr. Noodle on Sesame Street has a brother who is also named Mr. Noodle. So if there are two people with the same name on Sesame Street, then it should work in our house, right? (I'm explaining this in the present tense because we've had this discussion many times and I'm sure there will be many more to come.) I don't quite know what to say to that other than I think Mr. Noodle is really the cweepy one.

Luke has quite the ability to come up with interesting threats when things aren't going his way. The other day, Dennis did something that upset Luke. Luke was so angry, trying to express his deep frustration to his dad, and the worst possible thing he could thing of to say was, "Oh yeah?! Well I'm going to make you wear pink and purple and watch Angelina Ballerina!" followed by a long list of other girly tasks he would make his dad do if he didn't cooperate.

This last one really caught me off guard and actually made me back off, a little apprehensive and unsure whether my 3 year old might actually follow through on his threat. I can't remember why I had scolded him but it was apparently uncalled for in his mind even though I wasn't yelling nor had I laid a finger on him. "Mom!!!! If you don't stop being mean, I'm going to call 9-11 and the police will come and take you away!" Yikes. Maybe I should delay in teaching him his numbers and how to use a phone... for my safety!

1 comment:

Cher said...

you have huge hips? ha ha. that's funny luke thinks it's creepy.
the other day i was holding sam on the couch in the dark trying to get him to sleep. he was laying on me and we were talking about the baby and how he has little hands and feet and a nose like sam. then all of a sudden he jumped up and was trying to get off of me. "i scared of baby" he kept saying. like he was imagining a nasty alien baby just crawling out of my belly at any moment and getting him. :) that would be pretty creepy i guess.