Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Favorite Things Party

Okay...I'll apologize ahead of time. This is by far my lengthiest blog post. I always like hearing about products that other people like, and after watching Oprah one day, I thought, "Hey, I should have one of those!" So I facebooked a bunch of friends and asked them to bring a treat to share and some of their favorite products that they can't live without so that we could get some ideas from each other on what's out there. I was surprised that we had about 20 ladies show up, but I did feel bad that they were all squished in my living room, many sitting on the floor. So sorry! (This picture doesn't have all the ladies that came.)

Here are pictures and short descriptions of what people brought:


At first glance this looks a little like the hairball your just cat coughed up, but Natalie swears by these scrubbing pads when cleaning. Buy them at the Dollar Store or the Avon Store. They start out round and tight, but even after they get matted after multiple cleanings, they still work great.


Joanne says Keens are her favorite brand of shoes. I would have to agree. Camden went through 5 pairs of shoes last year...yes 5. I kept buying Sketchers or other brands I thought would last, but nothing other than these babies proved to be a match for my little Camden. If you buy them on sale, they're cheaper than Sketchers. If you buy them at REI, their return policy is unbeatable.


Cindy said she likes this powder cleaner much better than Comet or Ajax. It can be a little hard to find, but well worth it when you do.



How did our mothers ever get by without these things? There's no toddler-invoked catastrophe this stuff can't clean. Enough said.


Stephanie, chef extraordinaire, loves this no-fail America's Test Kitchen cookbook that you can buy at Costco. All of the recipes have been extensively tried and tested.



Stephanie also claims this chapstick, which also can be a little harder to find, is better than the flavored tubes of wax that we call Chapstick.




Gretchen loves these bra strap holders that prevent the straps from sliding off your shoulder and making you look like the perpetual 7th grader, always tugging and adjusting. You can buy them at Kohl's for fairly inexpensive.



Gretchen says this Revlon Color Stay lipstick lives up to its claim to not rub off. Even her hubby's shirt collar is still white after a little smoochy, smoochy with Mr. Muscles (aka Donavon).




Rachelle and Cathy say they are able to clean and sanitize every surface and area of your house with these silver-infused cleaning wipes without using any chemicals, just water.



Cathy and Cindy love their Iphones. Now that Cindy's daughter, who she claims is her brain, is getting older and isn't always around, she depends on this to be her new brain. Cathy loves being able to download and listen to songs from dreamy Irish bands. She can also take professional quality pictures her husband to console herself that although she's not available to those Irish band members, she did pretty well with Derek.




Tyauna said she was thrilled to get rid of her Winnie the Pooh purse and finally get this one with interchangable covers to feel like a woman. (Tyaunna, I can't remember the name of the brand, but if you'll let me know, I'll add it)


Tyaunna brought this Shark vaporized cleaner sanitizes and cleans your floors with just water. The water heats in just 15 seconds. Many of the women present agreed that they love this machine. Dennis, if you're reading this, take note for Christmas.




Tessa, who always looks fabulously fashionable, brought this purse with matching wallet. (Sorry Tessa, I think I was gabbing to someone else when you said the name of the brand and where you bought it. If you'll let me know any additional details, I'll add them)



Tessa also loves the Bare Minerals foundation which she says is light, long-lasting, and actually improves your skin quality as you wear it.



This eyeshadow is also a Bare Minerals product which looks like a tube of lip gloss, but has the eyeshadow powder in the tube. Tessa and Cathy claim this outlasts any other eyeshadow they've tried.




Cynthia made Calista this adorable tag blanket. It's pretty genius if you ask me. Since babies love the texture of the borders of blankets, this one has multiple textures and types of borders, sewn on as the tags. Thanks, Cynthia!!!


Angie made a good point about these Cutco knives. She said you would never send your husband to work without the right tools to his job in the workplace, so you should have the right tools to do YOUR job in the kitchen. Very good point, I must say. Although they are pricey, they are well worth the investment because of the quality and warranty behind the product. She swears you won't regret it.


Angie says she hated flossing before she discovered these. They are inexpensive and so easy to use that your kids don't mind using them. Ahhh-mazing!



The Va-Va-Voom, Super Sexy Holli loves this Hawaiian tropic tanning creme that doesn't leave funky smells or streaks. (How do you like that name I came up with for you, Holli? Admit it...it's true.)


Staci loves the Wet and Wild lip gloss that is only 99 cents and wears really well. The awesomest thing she brought was a 2 inch, little, green, plastic alien, to announce her services as the new Sci-Fi guru of the neighborhood. And she means it! That's so awesome. Phooey, I didn't get a picture of the alien!



Andra uses this to straighten wrinkles out of her clothes with just a simple spray. Hmmm...maybe that's the trick to how Andra always looks so flawless.


These Almond Joy Pieces are heaven. Andra, I thank you for introducing me to these, but my waistline and butt don't.


Kris says these baby wipes from Costco are great for cleaning stinky baby bums, but also for sponge baths when camping, cleaning grass stains from pants, and a host of other purposes. Well da-gum! (My boys have been a little obsessed with Cars 2)


Kim, the other chef extraordinaire, says this cooking magazine has awesome recipes that are not only delicious but light in calories and fat. Anyone who has had Kim's cooking will perk up their little ears and listen when she gives any opinion about cooking. (Kim, I know you talked about some other things, but for the life of me, I can't remember them. Sorry!)


Suzanne was downright giddy about her discovery of Zenni Optical where you can get your prescription eyeglasses for $6.95. This is especially great for kids who wear prescription glasses.



Kim brought this bleach pen courtesy of Kiersten, her sister-in-law, who is reportedly the resident expert on stain removal. The bleach pen is great for shirts that you don't want to dunk in bleach to remove spots from.



If you didn't already want to take a bite of of Kim's deliciously cute Conlie, you will now when you smell her after she's been bathed in this body wash and shampoo. You can buy it at Target.



Suzanne loves TreSemme's hairspray that holds even the biggest of Utah hairdos without stickiness, crispiness, or the little white flakes. I've tried this stuff myself and it's great!


Katie was so excited about finding the website
www.findagrave.com. She was able to fill some holes (no pun intended) in her family history search. Way to go Katie! Listening to her talk about genealogy made me realize once again, how awesome people are that do it!


These last items are the ones that I brought to show. I love these Kirkland pre-moistened facial cleansing wipes. They are inexpensive and awesome for removing all of your makeup, even water-proof mascara. The cheapest awesomeness you'll ever buy.


This Shout Advanced Stain Removal is great from removing those three-kids-ago stains. You can spray it on and leave it for up to a week before laundering. Many articles of clothing were saved from forever being banished to the D.I. pile because of my discovery of this stuff.


I've had a hard time finding foundation that actually stays on all day and cover up my newly emerging lovely age spots. It even stays on through naps, slobbery kisses, everything. Good stuff.




I must say, I haven't given these much of a try, but I've heard people swear by them so I thought I'd give them a try. I LOVE high heels and with my stubby little legs, the higher, the better. But after 30 minutes, I'm cussing myself for being so vain so I'm going to try these in hopes that I can trick everyone into thinking I have more than stubbies for legs.




Last but not least, I have loved my discovery of listening to books on CD on my Ipod. This is what provides most of my motivation to get me through my long runs. I'm too antsy-pantsy to sit down and read books so I have REALLY loved this. It's also great for late-night house cleaning frenzies.



So that's it. It was a lot of fun and the treats everyone brought were quite tasty. If anyone would like to add anything that I forgot, email me and I'll add it. I realize I may have missed a few things.


Funny note-Before the party, I told Dennis what we were going to be doing. Being Dennis, he offered to make cherry and peach pies for my treat. I got a little huffy told him that I'm tired of people thinking I'm the dead weight in this relationship! I'll make my own dang treat!! (I really was just joking- well, half way)

Then he offered again, yesterday morning to make chocolate chip cookies since he knows they are my favorite and saw I hadn't made anything yet. Geez, will ya knock it off?! I was determined to pull of my own little girly party without any help from my husband.

But then he ended up cleaning, vacuuming and getting the house immaculately ready for the party. Gaaaaaaaah!


Thanks, sweetie. Bar none, you are definitely my "Favorite Thing."

P.S. At the top of my list of "Unfavorite Things" is Blogger. It keeps adding weird spaces and things I don't want. It has taken me way too long to get this posted!

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

Thanks for hosting this party Rita! It was fun to see everyone's favorite things and learn a thing or two.

Stephanie said...

Rita you rock. It was great to get together and learn about so many new great things.

P.S. Tyauna's bag is a Michi bag. Kim talked about some amazing lancome mascara and Orchard Park.

Stephanie said...

I need to amend my previous comment. I have no idea what Orchard Park is, but I'm pretty sure Kim was talking about Overland Plaza. The Reel Theater near Overland and Cole. I think she said they have great deals on snacks in addition to cheap movies.

Janetta said...

Sounds like a really great idea Rita! There's always something more to learn from other women. I have experienced some of those frustrations with blogger too in the past. I try to push the "edit" and "preview" button to make any adjustments that I can but sometimes I just have to walk away and do it another time when blogger is working better. Thanks for posting!

The Minert Family said...

Ha! nice name for me Rita and look whos talkin!!!
That was a fun and informative night, good job!!!

Cher said...

great idea! you're cute. i'll have to try some of these things