Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Mistress

Meet the Mistress. I've had a few people who live far away ask to see pictures of his truck so I thought I'd post them. I mentioned before that Dennis sold, what I called, his pretty-boy truck and bought this man's-man truck.


I had to laugh when a friend of mine saw the torn apart, truck with chipping paint sitting in our drive way and said, "Ummm...I thought Dennis sold his truck so he could get a better truck." I told her, "You don't understand. For Dennis, this is a much better truck."

For as much grief as I give him for the endless hours he spent laying under the truck working and for the grease he tracked into the house, I must admit that I was the one that egged him on to sell his truck and get something he liked better. When he found this one on Craigslist, and he told me he wanted to fufill his childhood dream of putting a Dodge Cummins engine in a four-door Ford, I naively thought that this would take a day or two and I told him I thought that was a great idea and to go for it.

A few days into the project, I asked him how much longer he had, thinking he would say "Oh...not too much longer."

He looked at me a little confused and said, "Sweetie, this will probably take at least 80 man hours to finish." His friend later corrected him saying it would actually probably take at least 90. I didn't know at the time but even that was a conservative estimate. I think the final tally came to well over 100 hours.

Needless to say, this truck took a very long time to finish and I had some very unlady-like moments during the process. Blame the post-baby hormones.

At one point, he had gutted out the entire motor and interior of the truck, including seats, window panels, everything. Looking at the truck from the front end you could look straight back, through the hollowed out truck and see the tail gate.

After a new motor, new paint job, new window tinting, fancy new gauges in the inside, and some other ingenious modifications that he made, the finished product is pretty awesome, if I can say so.


Putting the finishing touches on after it came back from being repainted.





Before

(I think this picture is too generous. It looked pretty rough in real life with it's bubbling, blue window tint, and chipped paint.)





After


Dennis had to put this Cummins decal on as the finishing touch of his masterpiece to show what he had done.


Good job, Dennis! Once again, you amaze me with your ingenuity and your ability to do literally anything you put your mind to.

No comments: