Friday, July 29, 2011

Why the Mistress?



I realize I never explained why our truck is called the Mistress. I'm sure you've lost sleep over it wondering and it makes me laugh so here it is:

This little anecdote is for all the people who think Dennis never does anything wrong (ha!) and for those that have told me they can never imagine me ever getting mad (double ha!).

I started calling her that (a truck that needy could only be a girl) one night as I lay in bed alone at 11pm, just days after Calista was born. Where was my husband, you might ask? Outside. Under the hood, covered in grease, just as he had been all day and most of the days he had taken off for his "paternity leave." I stormed outside and said, "Dennis! If I didn't know any better, I would swear you had a girlfriend. If there was a checklist for wives to go through on how to know when their husband is cheating, mine would be completely covered in angry little checkmarks! The way you never come to bed with me anymore, the way you're always daydreaming and distracted, the way you disappear anytime I turn around so you can come outside and get under the hood, the way you've stopped doing everything else you enjoy, the way you sit on your phone and computer for hours researching and ordering parts. I kid you not I'm about ready to take a sledge hammer to this thing!"

As my grandmother used to say, "Esa es mujer chilena!" That's also in case you were wondering what un-ladylike behavior I was referring to in my previous post.

That caught his attention real quick and after that he was sure he gave equal time to his wife and new baby as he was his Mistress, but the name stuck.

So there you have it. Sweet dreams.

5 comments:

Cristina said...

Love it! Not the mistress of course, but you're post. It made me laugh, and I needed a good laugh today :) love ya!

Liz Johnson said...

Understandably! I probably would have had the same reaction. Your post is hilarious!!

Trent and Julie said...

Trent and i got a good laugh reading this post!! Tell Dennis it looks great and Trent says way to be a good sport and even allow the Mistress to take up permanent residence in your home!! Love you guys!

The "J" Team said...

Okay...that post made me laugh....love it! Hopefully the mistress will be less needy now.

Percy said...

communication is good!