Sunday, January 8, 2012

Days like today

Just when I think I've got myself figured out I go and have a day like today.  For the past few days we've all either had a nasty stomach bug or a killer head cold- the kind that makes you want to stay in bed all day sulking with a box of tissues and a humidifier.  That combined with lack of sleep and a raging case of cabin fever started me off on the wrong foot this morning, to put it mildly.  That same wrong foot marched me right on through most of the afternoon too.  With a pounding head and a water faucet for sinuses, all I wanted to do was crawl back in bed and hibernate until March.  


As Dennis headed out the door to go to church, I wanted to sit right down on my pity pot and have myself a party.  


Why, when I feel so dog-gone miserable and Dennis is gone, do my kids seem needier than ever?  


Lauren with her endless nonsensical jabbering, Camden and Luke hollering over who's turn it was at the Hot Wheels track, and Calista getting irritated with being ignored through it all.  


For crying out loud, why can't I ever have myself a real sick day- or a couple for that matter?  A few days where I can check out and read books, and do whatever it is that floats my boat until I get to feeling better?  


After biting off a few heads I decided I needed to keep my mouth shut and keep to myself as much as possible.  So while Calista was napping I was reading a book on photography and decided some camera therapy might be just what I needed.


It's amazing how looking at things through a little plastic lens, even if just for a few minutes, can bring things all back into focus- both literally and figuratively speaking.  And suddenly, things didn't seem quite so bad after all.



Calista checking out her own image on the computer as I worked on the editing.



3 comments:

Cher said...

wow, so beautiful! great job.

Trent and Julie said...

So When I actually take the time to look at a few people's blogs---yours never ceases to amaze me!! You are getting really good with your camera--I need lessons! I miss you guys-I'm going to have to find a time to come and see you soon. Hope you are feeling better
Love ya,
julie

Merrick Family said...

Thanks! Did you see I did a special blog post just about you? :) Hope it doesn't embarrass you too much.