Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Change of Seasons

The kids are back in school, the weather is starting to cool off, and the earthy smell in the air warns of the upcoming change of season.  I've always resented fall and what it means- the ending of summer and the imminent arrival of it's cold and bitter counterpart.  This year I've been trying to make an effort to appreciate fall.  Not for what it will eventually turn into, but for what it is now- golden and refreshing.  I appreciate that the kids are back in school, for both my sake and theirs.  I find that I'm a better mother, more patient and present, when there is more structure to our day and when I'm not surrounded by little people at every waking (and at times sleeping) hour of the day.

Isn't that a constant struggle- to appreciate things as they are and not for what they were or what they will become?

Yesterday I called my dad for some advice on a situation that has increasingly become more difficult.  I knew I was in need of sound advice from someone who could listen without judgement.  I was grateful for the advice he gave me.  So many times in our attempts to do act Christianly, we lose our bearings and find ourselves in swirling and confusing messes that lack boundaries, and abound in good but misaimed intentions.

He told me, "Forgiveness and love for others should be unconditional.  But trust is a different matter.  It is very conditional.  We do not have to give our trust to everyone.  But decide how you trust someone, even if it's only a little bit, and base your relationship around the areas that you do trust in them."

He also counseled me to pray, not necessarily with expectation of changing the situation, but to increase my ability to handle the situation cheerfully and without resentment.

How grateful I am for the presence of a wise and loving father in my life.  We are all blessed with a loving Father in Heaven, but not everyone was given the luxury of a wonderful earthly father as well. To be blessed with both is a tremendous blessing.

Here are a few pictures from a recent family reunion with the Merricks.  Aren't kids so cute when they're filthy?





1 comment:

Liz Johnson said...

I hope you get an answer. And that fall is gentle on all of us. :)