Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The 9 year old male mind

Almost every day Camden pulls me aside to show me his latest Lego creations.  That little man's mind blows me away.  He includes escape hatches, turbo engines, hidden dart throwers, and a million other little gadgets that only he would think of, all with an unbelievable attention to precision and detail.

And then I had a long laugh the other night about a little boy's lack of attention to things that don't matter in his little 9 year old mind.

While shopping for a white, collared shirt for Dennis, I realized I had forgotten to double check his shirt size before leaving the house.  I called Camden and asked him to pull down one of his dad's shirts and check the size for me.  I told him to look just below the collar for the label that had the brand name of the shirt, with the shirt's size right next to it.  I told him to look for a number somewhere close to 17/30something, since I couldn't remember his exact sleeve length.

"I don't see anything, Mom.  There's nothing there."

"Really?  Are you sure?  It should be there, right below the collar, in black and white numbers right next to the label."

He insisted there were no numbers, not even a label, and proceeded to check the entire shirt for numbers of any kind that might help me.  He found the shirt's item number, tiny little numbers on the bottom corner tag.  The shirt was made in China and was 100% cotton, he told me.  He even read the washing instructions off to me... in Spanish.

I was completely confused.  I told him not to worry about it and that I would check myself when I got home.

When I got home, I had a long laugh when I saw the white shirt that he had hung so neatly and carefully back on the hanger.


So how does a little boy build things like this...

....while missing this?  I don't know if I'll ever understand the male mind.

1 comment:

Cher said...

ha ha ha. that's great.